[ANN]: GTA04 (Beagleboard inspired Openmoko Upgrade) - Early Adpoter Program

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Dec 22 08:04:52 CET 2010

Am 21.12.2010 um 22:24 schrieb W. B. Kranendonk:

> Hallo Nikolaus,
>
> --- On Tue, 12/21/10, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at computer.org> wrote:
>> we are happy that we can make an announcement to the Free
>> and
>> Open Hardware Community, right in time for X-mas and New
>> Year:
> I am happy to read it! Congratulations!
>
>> So we are very confident that the already scheduled
>> redesign
>> (GTA04A3) will work right from the beginning and boot
>> Linux.
> (http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/MOV00714.mov)
> It's alive!! Haha, in fact it seems quite reminiscant of a nuclear whiteout followed by a blackout (emphasized by the post-apocalyptic style of the recording appliance shown in the reflection of the screen) ;-)

Well, that is just a side-effect of the sensitivity regulation of the camera :)

We will make better movies soon.

>> -- next steps --
>> In this mode, you may deduce, that you will not be able to
>> (...) run out of money before.
> I hate that too :-(
>
>> -- early adopter program --
>>
>> Therefore, we have thought hat we offer an early adoper
>> program to the benefit of everybody.
>>
>> The idea is that you can order a GTA04A3 immediately.
> (...)
>> and if everything looks ok, we will produce your early
>> adopter devices. Only in the case that the A3 board has
>> another
>> serious flaw, we will have to design a GTA04A4 board
>> first.
> You will test two way voice communication, will you? I keep receiving complaints about echo/buzz (indeed, haven't applied fix ...)

Sure.

>> estimate delivery of the first units by March 2011.
> After wetting the appetite during FOSDEM ...
>
>> (there are not all
>> peripherals installed but UMTS and GPS will be). It might
>> be possible to retrofit some of them.
> I am quite interested, but a bit hesitant for missing goodies. Do you have some (closer) estimate about what's missing and what which of those things are retrofittable?

Since you are not the only one to note this, we thought that we
add an Upgrade Kit offer. This includes all the missing parts.
"Kit" is not exact since we will have the parts soldered to the
PCB, i.e. no additional work for you.

The idea is to keep the basic version down in price since not
everyone needs everything.

Details on the updated order page:

http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04-Early-Adopter&referer=GTA04-Early-Adopter

>> And, come to FOSDEM 2011 to see and touch a GTA04
>> and discuss with us about this new gadget.
> :-)
>
>> We wish you all merry christmas and a happy new year.
> Same to you and the team!

Thank!

Nikolaus