[ANN]: GTA04 (Beagleboard inspired Openmoko Upgrade) - Early Adpoter Program

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Dec 22 16:33:33 CET 2010

Hi Marco,

Am 22.12.2010 um 16:18 schrieb Marco Trevisan (Treviño):

> Il giorno mar, 21/12/2010 alle 16.33 +0100, Dr.H.NikolausS ha scritto:
>> Dear all,
>> we are happy that we can make an announcement to the Free and
>> Open Hardware Community, right in time for X-mas and New Year:
>> We have finally tested, understood and patched the bugs of the
>> first GTA04 sample board (a.k.a. GTA04A2) and have successfully
>> started U-Boot. We can access the important peripherals like
>> display, touch screen, and MMC card.
> This is great, however can be planned for a quite near future to support
> also a different case (the Openmoko one is too thick compared to the
> ones used by the actual mobile hardware!) with maybe another LCD
> (capacitive?) and, above all a camera, the most requested hardware
> feature when the GTA02 was designed! :P

The GTA04 design has a connector for an optional camera module that even
fits into the existing case (although you have to drill a hole). But we have not
yet tested it.

You will also be able to connect a different LCD through expansion connectors
that we are currently adding to the GTA04A3 design. Unfortunately, this makes
the design even thicker. Miniaturization is in contradiction with

The touch screen controller is a TSC2007 which can only handle resistive
touch, but you can connect a capacitive controller as well.

Regarding case design it is open to you to come up with new designs
and production methods (e.g. rep-rap, makerbot, ...). We are happy to
support you with knowledge. And if we finally see a project that receives
applause by the community we want to help to make it a repeatable
procedure so that everyone can make or buy one.

A general note on thickness - the main factor is thickness of the battery
and the LCD module. And, of course, the display bezel is (unneccesarily)
thick. So there are ways for a thinner case (with same functionality).

Happy (plastics) hacking,