[wikireader] update experience
lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de
Sat Dec 25 22:53:07 CET 2010
Sorry for posting this here, I don't know if there's already a list for
I've got a WikiReader now for some month and my 10y daughter
surprisingly likes it, so I finally decided to get one for my parents as
The one I've got came with english, german and netherlands wikis, so I
assumed the new one would do so, too. But it didn't, so I had to update
the german language package.
The Update software so far is really easy and it recognizes the SD card
without choosing it from any USB device.
It told my to update the base image and the german language, it took about
3-4 hours to download the 1.7GB.
After starting the WR again, even the english language was gone, only an
empty search window showed up.
So I looked at the content of the SD card and still the timestamps of the
base files seemed wery old to me. The german language package seemed ok.
Then I downloaded the base image from the .torrent file, which seemed to
me the only up-to-date source I could get.
It was quite a pain, because the only torrent client I had on my parents
computer was the torrent downloader from Opera, which is quite slow
compared to other torrent clients.
After putting the new base files to the SD card, at least the german
language was there. I don't know what happened with the english.
According to the docs there seems to be a single-language installation
(all lang files at root directory) and a multi-lang version with each
language in a subfolder. Obviously the do not co-exist.
And the well-known problems: Touchscreen is hard to handle (but
learnable), backlight for people of higher age is really missing
because of their eyes.
At least the contrast setup (which seems only to appear if you boot the
device without sd card) could/should be part of the usual sdcard-'OS'.
(for example pressing the power button short instead of holding it for
So far I'm now happy with it, I like the device, if my parents do - we
will see ;)
More information about the community