[debian] howto: rebuilding sgt-puzzles for the FR

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Dec 26 04:07:09 CET 2010

On 12/21/2010 12:51 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> On 19 December 2010 14:28, EdorFaus<edorfaus at xepher.net>  wrote:
>> When I first started doing this package, I fully intended to keep
>> maintaining it - but then several things conspired against it, which has
>> caused it to be unmaintained (by me at least) for a year now...
>
> That doesn't seem to have harmed anything.  The .ipk always installs
> cleanly for me, and the code is upstream.

That's good to hear, and I suppose X+GTK don't really change all that
much these days (or at least not in bw-comp-breaking ways)... Still
means you don't get the games added since then though.

I think the main problem was with the launcher I made, which I'm not
sure is even relevant anymore (I haven't updated my FR for a while).

>> I've still got a couple left though... and made a new one just now... I
>> should probably try to push those upstream as well.
>
> That's interesting, what do they do?

There's one for Bridges, that makes it possible to un-lock an island -
the existing code only lets you do that by not moving the mouse between
pressing and releasing the button, which is practically impossible on
the touchscreen, but doesn't require the same for locking. The patch
fixes this by allowing unlocking in the same manner as locking.

The other one is for Solo, and (in STYLUS_BASED builds) lets you
activate the "pencil-mode" note taking selection by clicking a second
time in empty cells, only clearing the selection on the third click
(instead of the second in normal builds).

The third one, which I just added, is not for a feature, but is a fix
for a (potentially serious, from what I read) compiler warning
("dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules")
caused by code that was added by me in the first place.
In case you care: I had reused the first character of an error string
buffer as a loop variable for adding the "0"-"9" buttons in the GTK
interface, and was also casting that first char to an int, to pass it to
the click action of those buttons. These casts weren't liked by gcc
(well, its optimizer, I think), so this patch replaces this trickery
with the local variable I should have used in the first place. :P

All of this is stuff I should send upstream, so I'll probably get around
to doing that one of these days...

(I do have yet another patch used in my old build, but that was just to
make it generate the icons in the right size for the Illume main menu so
neither I or the FR would have to resize everything afterwards...)

>> CFLAGS="-D_WIN32_WCE" debian/rules binary
>
> Nice, much better than editing!  For the record, have you actually
> tried this and checked it works, or is it just a suggestion?

I tried it. At first I thought it should work, then while trying (well,
compiling) thought it wouldn't (due to a thinko), and then found out
that it does. Well, it works on my x86 netbook anyway, I haven't tried
it with an ARM build, but since the makefile etc. is the same, it
*should* work there too.

Btw, I've not really been following the loop for a while (approximately
since Enlightenment renamed some of its libs), but kinda want to get
back into using my FR as my phone once the new year rolls around - would
you happen to have any recommendations for which distro to use with my
probably-A6, no-reworks Freerunner?

--
Regards,
EdorFaus