Freerunner's contribution to /dev/random entropy

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Tue Dec 28 16:39:43 CET 2010

Hello all & happy holidays,

With the recent thread that mentions the noisiness of the accelerometers,
I was reminded that the Freerunner has lots of sensors that are capable of
being good sources of entropy for Linux's random number generator,
especially with the Nav board installed.

The accelerometers actually already contribute entropy (the input device
framework takes care of it), but the new devices on the Nav board do not.
Do you think it would be a good idea to add that? I think that the
BMP085 probably should not (sensor readings too predictable and hardly
changing from one reading to the next) but the other two should be good
candidates, especially the rate gyros.

-Phil