which os for the freerunner

Brian Kemp brian.kemp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 15:37:06 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 09:28 -0500, tom wrote:
> hi,
>
> i bought the freerunner a while ago only because of android, but got
> quickly disapointed by the lack of speed. is qtmoto faster?
>
> thx

Hi Tom.  Android on FreeRunner is pretty new, as is Replicant on
FreeRunner.

QtMoko is fairly stable and responsive. It improves every release. I've
been using v26 for a while and was planning to install v31 later today.
One thing of note: qtmoko leaves contacts on the SIM which can be slow
(there is some local storage for numbers you have added on the phone
itself).

If you don't find QtMoko to your liking you can try out SHR or
Hackable::1, etc. There's some choice here - an amount that's very odd
for a phone. :)

I've been using my FreeRunner daily for about a year. The one that
drives me nuts is Bluetooth Disconnecting on Suspend, but the easiest
workaround for me is to leave the phone on the charger in the car (where
I actually need Bluetooth.)