Rutgers University writes malware for Freerunner

Andrew Stephen andrew.stephen at
Mon Feb 22 22:52:34 CET 2010

The researchers say their intent is not to just scare people, but to
inspire action. "What we’re doing today is raising a warning flag,"
Iftode said. "We’re showing that people with general computer
proficiency can create rootkit malware for smart phones. The next step
is to work on defenses."

The team used an open-source smartphone called the Openmoko FreeRunner
running Linux software, but they emphasized that with enough time and
effort, any smartphone operating system can be attacked with malware.

The Rutgers team plans to use their results to inspire developers to
create new ways to detect and prevent rootkit attacks on smartphones
because none exist right now.

Andrew Stephen

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either
charming or tedious.
  - Oscar Wilde