gta02-core (was Re: OM future)

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rizurita at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 20:57:39 CET 2010

Hi, I think that gta02-core is the key (or part of).

All of us have been talking about the problems with openmoko hardware
for years. And because all of us have different ideas and feelings
we use this list as our psychologist :-)

But still if there are a lot of different ideas and feelings
I always read the same conclusions :

 - Openmoko hardware has problems
 - There is no other open linux mobile phone like we want
   (open on both, software and hardware sides : without signed
 bootloader images/etc)

Also, because we write those feelings all the time, we can read
the answers from old Openmoko devels who also have differente ideas.
But, most of them have, as well, the same conclusions :

 (1) Openmoko failed internally
 (2) The Openmoko development process was not good

When we look for alternatives these are always the same,
from big companies, and with the same features:
propietary components and perhaps monopolistic. So I guess no,
there is no open linux mobile phone like most of us want.

Then, you can find possible (future) alternatives. If you read Raster words
he says that just a big guy (company) can do a sucessful linux product,
because it needs money and lots of people. Perhaps that would
be just a small step toward an complete open Linux mobile phone.
If lot of little steps are made, some day we may get what we want.

But, I also feel that gta02-core is another key to fix some
of the conclusions that ex openmoko developers did, because
gta02-core tries to fix the process.

I read from time to time the gta02-core mailing list, and irc chat log.
Some people think that that project goes slow and because gta02-core
won't produce the next gta03 mobile phone, then
it is useless and a waste of time.

But no, if you read well, then you will realize that it is a
community development process, and if this project succeeds then
the development of a new cool open linux mobile phone may
follow similar lines of the gta02-core process documents.

That would fix the (2), and then you just need a big guy,
like Raster says, without internal problems like there
were at (1).

With (1) and (2) solved, we would have our cool linux device
wanted, and without bad feelings to go to the psychologist ;-)

Now, I have not tried to help a lot to gta02-core, and I don't
know why there are just few people doing all the hard work.

In few months gta02-core has created and reviewed the component diagrams,
created and reviewed the schematics (using just open source software),
found a smt line (from an university) to do the prototipes, written
a footprint editor.

I guess that they need the components kit that Sean/Openmoko inc
promised, and help of much people from community to continue
(check the tasks list to do).

The important thing is that the gta02-core project output will be
the development process docs and the organisation for that.
Proper processes and organisation, plus software (linux+fso+shr(distros))
will give us a great opportunity to find some
company without internal problems and say them :

"Hey, we know how to development an open linux mobile phone
like it should be, so please, start a new project for
that kind of hardware and we will point you how to do it" ;)

Now, I need to check how to really help more and stop to
look for a replacement (which does not exist).

fso, shr, gta02-core, other distros : thanks!, and keep the great
job you do.

--
Rafael Ignacio Zurita