Whither open hardware ? (was Re: Quick e-mail poll: Still using your Freerunner?)

Joerg Eesmann jeesmann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 3 22:14:22 CET 2010

Hi,
I would love to have an open phone with OMAP processor like OpenPandora
and BeagleBoard. Both have the OMAP 3530 with 3D acceleration and DSP.
Maybe a phone doesn't need the DSP. But it is amazingly powersufficient,
IMO. The phone would be up to date from processor power, and there
should not be a resource problem so soon, I guess. BeagleBoard and
OpenPandora are both well supported in OE, so from SW-side there should
not be so much effort (in theorie, you kow...).
>From HW-side another nicy is the POP (package on package). In the
BeagleBoard they are using a variant, where the RAM and NAND (both in
one Chip) is soldered on top of the processor, so the high speed lines
to DDR-RAM are not going through the PCB (on the other of course, you
have the process of soldering...).
... just dreaming ...
Joerg