GSM Network Time

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 5 00:54:17 CET 2010

Not quite - it should be "if available" - network time is not part of
the base GSM standard but an extension which many (most?) networks done
use.  The zone is part of the standard, but if your provider crosses
multi timezones as here in australia, you might not be able to properly
use it.

Beware using the default time server for network time - in europe it
might be ok, but it has jitter and offset here in australia at times -
set it to a local timeserver in /etc/frameworkd.conf.

Time keeping has improved a lot, but I still find I connect to a network
or use GPS once a day to make sure it stays on time.

BillK