bootloaders (Was: Quick e-mail poll: Still using your Freerunner?)

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:22:20 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <seba.dos1 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 12/30/09, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I only know about Android needing forked Qi. Which other distro also
> requires you to have custom bootloader?

None that I know of. But the main problem is that you can't (as a user)
easily multiboot between one image in NAND and sevaral images on SD card.
Let's see:
- Qi is missing the so-called "multiboot partition" that was proposed to fix
this. There has been a few attempts to create a write up that explains how
to set up all this, but AFAIk, today there isn't a complete ow-to anywhere.
In my eyes, this makes qi incomplete.

- uboot has problem with bigger kernels, and besides you still have to
configure it by hand for each partition you want to boot (whoever thought
that up? an ex-grub developer? Why can't uboot figure out this on its own?
Why does it nedd the help of a human for such a simple task?)

- you have already mentioned the forked Qi that Android needs.

Have I forgotten anything?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen