Whither open hardware ?

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Wed Jan 6 18:27:52 CET 2010

Hi Werner,

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> There are many component choices for future phones. Things to consider
> when choosing chips include:
> - are they available (to us) ?

What's the yard stick for measuring against here?  I.e. are we talking
about one-off from digikey/farnell, samples direct from the
manufacturer, or limited-run (couple of hundreds) quantities?

> - what are the integration costs ?
is this things like placement of awkward (small pitch etc.) parts,
FPC's etc.,  or ancillary parts such as partner chips?

> - do they work as intended ?
Hehehe. :-)

Is the normal route of sourcing via a factory (even for prototypes
etc.)?  From a few searches it seems that getting hold of some parts
(i.e. screens / touch layers) is incredibly difficult for one-offs.