[Shr-User] Alternatives to FR

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Wed Jan 6 21:57:18 CET 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 17:28:07 Laszlo KREKACS wrote:
> What do you think which mobile phone has the most likeliness to RE or
> somehow put fso on it?
>

> - Nokia N900
> http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

The N900 runs a debian like linux with an X11 server. I'm pretty sure it would
be possible to put FSO on it. It is pretty much open. You can reflash it with
the official nokia flasher and get root access without any hazzle. Basically
everything running on debian-arm will run on the n900 (after re-packaging - no
recompiling).

http://maemo.org

There is also a community based Distro called Mer. It is completely open
source and based on ubuntu. There is also a freerunner port of it somewhere
around the net.

> - Palm Pre
> http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/

I had the chance to play around with a Palm Pre. You can activate a serial
terminal through USB by pressing some fancy key combos. After that you can
install usb networking and dropbear ssh. You'll find an openembedded linux
with a very limited version of ipkg. However, you can activate openembedded
repositories and have pretty much everything you have on an openwrt router. No
X11 though.

http://www.webos-internals.org

> - Apple iphone
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/

IIRC there is a linux distribution for the iPhone. I have no idea what state
they have reached... I wouldn't hope too much that FSO is useful on iPhones
MacOS though... Anyways, IMHO the constant locking/jailbraeking race with
apple isn't worth it.

About android. Just install it on your FR and play a little around. It is
pretty much the same you can expect from any android phone I guess (except
better stability and performance then on the freerunner)...

From what I've seen every manufacturer (except Apple) lets you reflash the
phone selecting your own image and getting root access without big hazzle. But
they are all trying to hide the linux side as much as possible except Nokia.
The N900 comes with X11 and x-term preinstalled and you have the possibility
to add devel-repositories where you can even contribute your own projects. gcc
is just an apt-get install away :)

Cheers,
Michael