[Shr-User] Alternatives to FR

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Thu Jan 7 00:14:17 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2010, 17:28 +0100 schrieb Laszlo KREKACS:
> What do you think which mobile phone has the most likeliness to RE or
> somehow put fso on it?
>
> - Google Nexus
> http://www.google.com/phone/

Unlikely. Same as all other Android phones. Nightmare to get root and
after that, you have quite some work to remove the Androidisms. Or teach
FSO to use them as well. Modem-interface unclear.

> - Motorola MILESTONE (US version: Droid)
> http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/XW-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-MILESTONE-XW-EN

See Nexus.

> Already rooted the US version (Droid):
> http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=567

See Nexus, minus rooting.

> - Nokia N900
> http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Likely. It uses basic GNU/Linux, and the modem interface is at least
somewhat known. Advanced drivers (Wifi, BT, PowerManagement, Camera)
unknown though.

> - Palm Pre
> http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/

Very likely, if it wasn't for the completely obfuscated modem interface
which we're still working on.

> - Apple iphone
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Unrealistic. There won't be a Linux-port soon.

> Is there some site, who tracks the process of RE of each individual devices?

Not really, FSO has a page on the wiki, but since we're not in the
kernel business, but rather working on middleware, we rely on the
various reverse-engineering communities to do the grunt work.

Cheers,

:M: