[Shr-User] Alternatives to FR

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:33:55 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Michal Brzozowski <rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
> 2010/1/7 Laszlo KREKACS <laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com>
[...]
>> > http://maemo.org
>>
>> You cant use FSO, because the key parts are closed. The modem handling
>> or even the
>> battery charger daemon is closed source.
>>

> But there's probably some high level API to handle the battery, modem, gps,
> etc. Isn't it possible to put FSO on top of that in form of a compatibility
> layer? Just guessing.

On the maemo developers list there is a discussion about using ofono
on the N900 that "should" work out of the box, so the phone system is
mostly open (excluding the gui part).
Someone tested it using pnatd too, a daemon that provides an "at"
compatibility layer, it may be interesting to test it with FSO.

I want to remember that on N900 root access is trivial, and with few
clicks you are able to install openssh server and login with root
account without problems, IMHO the n900 is the less closed device in
the propretary market.

It may be nice to organize a donation to provide such device to
FSO/OE/SHR staff.

Regards

    Niko