TangoGPS font size for speed indicator

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:48:54 CET 2010

> I have founded tangogps and spent over 2000 hours of development on it
> so quite naturally I am the SABDFL of tangogps. And it is a rather
> successful project: it has been picked up by over 25 distributions and
> it has far more than 100.000 happy users in pretty much every corner of
> the world.

I honestly believe that if it wasn't for TangoGPS, and therefore
yourself Marcus, the initial uptake of the Openmoko devices would have
been much slower. This community owes a great deal to your hard work.
OpenStreetMap has probably benefited too as well. TangoGPS
demonstrated that the Neo1973 and FreeRunner were (are) viable
platforms and that there was (is) value to be gained from a phone
running Open Source software. By "demonstrated" I mean that you could
give the phone to someone, have them walk around outside, and they'd
come back excited about what could be done.

I remember getting an engineering sample of the FreeRunner and having
many email conversations with Markus about getting TangoGPS to run on
it. It wasn't exactly hard, but I was known to make a mistake or two
along the way; at least in the end TangoGPS was about the first
application I ran on the FreeRunner and I was, I think, the first
person to ever do it. Thankfully Openmoko inc saw the value and sent
Marcus a phone too.

Thanks for all your contributions Marcus, we all owe you a lot, even
if some people fail to realise that.

Cheers, Joseph