UBI success story

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) mail at 3v1n0.net
Fri Jan 8 03:06:43 CET 2010

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Thanks for sharing. How's speed and reliability for ubifs? I wonder
> whether it's worth the hassle to switch, given that SD access should be
> even faster and much more convenient.

I'm using UBIFS in my "hybrid" OM2008 (still :P) based distro for some
months; In my case I had to backport the kernel patches too, then I used
an SD installation of SHR to flash the generated ubi image in my nand
via ubiformat (which is a LOT faster than using dfu-util; with it
flashing an ubi image takes just few minutes).

I've still some issues on creating a correct ubi image by the way; the
hardware parameters returned by ubinfo (in a distro running a kernel >=
2.6.30) doesn't seem to be correct, and I've to force the page size
anyway.

Coming back on the Mickey's question, however, I've to say that I've
noticed a nice speed improvement on booting and on running many
applications.

PS: It works well using uBoot too with adding these cmdline parameters:
    rootfstype=ubifs ubi.mtd=6,2048 root=ubi0:rootfs