OT: Where can I meet a female companion with similar interestsand personality /in person/?

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Fri Jan 15 14:38:42 CET 2010

> El día Friday, January 15, 2010 a las 02:04:07PM +0100, Jan Girlich escribió:
>> >
>> > There is.  It's "their".
>>
>> Difference is pike is using singular, you're using plural, Neil. Using
>> plural just seems like a quick hack to me, the real bugfix would be to
>> introduce a proper word for he/she, him/his, ... in the English
>> language. I believe other languages have a third form which has no
>> gender. Was it Spanish?
>>
>> (haven't read the whole thread, just my 2¢)
>> Jan
>
>All this is Off-Topic; please move to some English-Grammar or whatever
>list;
>
>Thx
>
>        matthias
>--
>Matthias Apitz
>t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
>e <guru at unixarea.de> - w http://www.unixarea.de/
>Vote NO to EU The Lisbon Treaty: http://www.no-means-no.eu

No we dont have a neutral gender in Spanish, but the Spanish for 'his' and 'her' is the same ('su') so we don't have that problem:

'his/her Freerunner' ==> 'su Freerunner'

As for English, I prefer 'their' rather than 'his/her'. I wonder how this issue was solved in the past. Such a usual problem must have been solved centuries ago in the English literature, no?

And yes, this is totally off-topic, and the where-can-I-meet-a-female topic is totally ridiculous and bad taste and I think the list administrator (if there is one) should do something about it.

Regards,
Juan Lucas