[QtMoko] QtMoko v16B, few questions and issues

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sun Jan 17 16:16:26 CET 2010

Joif wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new neo freerunner user, I installed Qtmoko v16B on the NAND.

Hi :)

> I have few questions:
> 1) It is necessary to create a swap partion on the SD if I use Qtmoko on the
> NAND?

No it's not necessary, but it can help if you are using some memory hungry
apps.

> 2) I prefer that GPS, bluetooth and wifi don't start automatically at the
> boot, wich file I have to edit to do that?

You can add in /etc/inid.d/qpe.sh

echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gps.0/power_on
echo s3c2440-sdi > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/s3c2440-sdi/unbind
echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-bt.0/power_on

Maybe you'll have to power them on manually from the devel menu then.

> 3) In movement writing sms with the default keyboards is not comfortable
>  (my fingers are large :P ), I prefer to use the tipical phone keyboard
>  used in the dialer or to insert the PIN of the SIM card. Is it possible to
>  use this keyboard (maybe with prediction) for sms? how to change the
>  prediction file?

The keyboards should work like plugins. It should be quite easy to write
better keyboard. Maybe i'll try to write something usable soon. Not sure about
the prediction...

>  4) it seems to me that the 'rotation' stretches the image
>  on screen, is there another app to rotate the screen without stretch maybe
>  using the accelerometers?

I am not aware of such app. Please note that some apps like Arora can
autorotate the screen using accelerometers automatically.

> 5) are "web browser" and "arora" able to read web pages with java and/or
> flash?

Probably not.

> 6) For downloadig apps is there a particular repository to add?

The official repo should be already setup in software packages menu. There are
about 15 apps there. I am not aware of any other repo.

> 7) issues with v16b: after a suspend the "devtools" do not work properly,
> it's impossible to turn on GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth and also the bar at the
> bottom of the screen (with the menu and green arrow) doesn't work properly
> (clicking the green arrow open or close the menu instead of turning back, I
> have to click more time to turn back). the devtools and bar seem to work
> again after some attempts.

The green arrow in menu is some bug in QT 4.6 Dead bluetooth after suspend is
long known problem, but Wifi and GPS should survive suspends just fine. Maybe
you can cat the above sysfs files from ssh to see what is happening. Also
/etc/inid.d/bluetooth restart can help some.

Regards

Radek