New significant speedups coming to FreeRunner

Denis Johnson denis.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:36:36 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors
<timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> Helge Hafting <helge.hafting at hist.no> writes:
>> That ticket seems to describe a similiar problem with wifi, it doesn't
>> mention GSM. Or are both handled by a common piece of hardware?
>
> No. GSM runs on a separate ARM processor and is accessed over a serial
> port.

As reported by me and others, WIFI is periodically not available after
a reboot and there is some suggestion that the faster kernel may be
exposing some timing related issues.

I'm not yet certain if this issue is also being caused by the timing
issues, but on my QtMoko v16b with the nodebug kernel I'm not only
experiencing the WIFI problem but more importantly I'm seeing some GSM
and SIM related problems. I frequnetly go to make a call and the
dialer drops out wihtout errors. If someone can tell me where to look
and what to provide to help debug this, then do so. I also sometimes
get errors sending SMS and other times get "sim card not ready" when
trying to delete SMS.

I just wanted to report these as a data point and if anyone wants more
details and logs, please ask.

cheers Denis