Now someone REALLY has to help me!!

Märta hagwall_jr at
Wed Jan 27 14:10:56 CET 2010

Ok, I got a NeoFreerunner this christmas, and I got it delivered with Android
pre-installed, and ever since I got it I've been struggling to install SHR
as OS onto the internal memory, WITHOUT SUCCESS. I have very little
knowledge of programming. I just want to use the OpenMoko as my daily phone
because I think it looks good and is a funny concept, and I hope to learn
more about it with time.

The installation guides I've been following seems to be made for people with
more knowledge than me, and there are dozens of terms in the
guides  and manuals  that I
don't understand. So I thought I should take it from the beginning so you
can correct me where I'm doing wrong.

1) For being able to install SHR on a Neo with Android you need:

Hardware; phone, usb-cable, a computer with Ubuntu
Software; Dfu-util, NEO-tools, U-boot (installed on my Neo atm.), a
kernel-module and SHR-root filesystem

The software can be found at the following places: DFU-util : Wtf is
intrepid, jaunty karmic, lucid? Am I supposed to understand that? I thought
it was a program. NeoTool : Also not a program, just.....
text? U-boot : I already have it installed on my
neo, so I dont need it again?
SHR-root filesystem : Im taking the files from the "Testing line" instead of
"Unstable", it's ok, right?
Kernel module : Only one file?

AND, you need to Flash the Neo before anything can be done.

This is done by first installing the DFU-utility software on a Linux
computer, connect the Neo and doing the AUX-startup and also typing in the
NEO-tools text  somewhere?

Ok I think I'll stop here. I really want to succeed with this, because I
love the Openmoko, but if I cant get a simple installation right I'll throw
this phone into the garbage. In other words, I appreciate all help.