Navit memory leak

Xavier Cremaschi omega.xavier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:16:42 CET 2010

Hi,
I am not sure we can use htop to profile that.

If a given software does lots of malloc/free, I could be a clever choice
for the operating system to let it occupy a big chunk of memory.

For example : you are the OS, you have 50mb of free memory and a user
launch navit, which does lots of malloc/free... it seems ok for me to
allocate ~45Mb for it (after 5 minutes of usage), since it seems to do
lots of things in memory and you have 50Mb free. It does not mean this
is a memory leak.

The best way is to launch a memory profiler I think (valgrind), or maybe
another big program when navit is launched. If its memory consumption
decreases, then it's fine. If not, it's a memory leak.

My 2 cents,
Xavier.