dynamically generating ringtones based on the calling phone number

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Sun Jan 31 01:05:55 CET 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Brolin Empey<brolin at brolin.be>  writes:
>> in the HVSC under C64Music\Ouwehand_Reyn:
>
> My problem with HVSC is that it's not DFSG-free [1] so such a ringtone
> could never be included in the Debian main distribution.

<http://brolin.be/audio/oh_teh_gno_leet.wav>
<http://brolin.be/audio/oh_teh_gno.wav>
<http://brolin.be/audio/noes1.wav>

I made the first 2 in 2004, when I was 17. :D  The 3rd is from some “Oh
Noes!” Web site.  Maybe <http://ohnoes.com/>, but that is now a spam
portal.  Apparently, “women masterbating” (sic) is somehow related to
“Oh Noes!”. :)

Anyway, on a more serious note (pun intended!), non-DFSG-freeness does
not matter to me:

1. I prefer Windows Vista/7 + Ubuntu over plain Debian.
2. I do not need freedoms I never use anyway.  I use a lot of both Free
+ proprietary software, but, for my use, it would not matter if a lot of
the Free software I use was proprietary because I do not use the
Freedoms granted to me:  I simply use the official builds or my distro’s
builds as-is.  Granted, open source is useful for building software for
non-x86 Linux, such as, of course, ARM, as used on the FreeRunner and
countless other devices.  My laptop is x86, though, so I can run
proprietary x86-only software on it instead of on my FreeRunner.
3. I like having unique ring + alert tones.  Consequently, lack of
inclusion in a popular distro can actually be considered beneficial! :)

> Since I
> wanted to make sure that there is at least a possibility to
> incorporate my hacks back to other users I spent a long time looking
> for a free ringtone.

If you mean you want your hacks included in distro repositories, that
seems unnecessary because I think most Openmoko users know how to
manually install stuff not packaged by their distro! ;)

> I eventually found some existing ones but did not
> like them much so just gave up and created a simple one myself.

If all else fails, Do It Yourself™? ;)