2+4+2 timing seemed to disrupt access to the sdcard

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Jul 26 10:58:29 CEST 2010

I have been using the qi with 2+4+2 timing over the weekend, and noted
two problems. (This with shr unstable and its 2.6.32 kernel.)

First, lots of WSODs. This required lots of suspending (or reboot)
without seeing the screen. This is not always possible, so
lots of battery removal.

All this crashing caused some filesystem trouble. And then the
second problem showed up.

I got i/o errors reading from the sdcard. Sometimes, I didn't get
tiles for tangogps or pictures for my contacts.

Unmounting the sdcard and running fsck ought to fix this. But the fix
was temporary. fsck would claim to fix some issues, and when I remounted
the card, I had normal access to the files. But it was
all in the page cache - it wasn't real. Reboot, and exactly the same
errors came up again. fsck would give exactly the same messages
while running. And things would work for a while, but another reboot
would always bring the same problems back.

It was as if writes to the sdcard failed - but failed silently. So the
kernel didn't notice. But nothing actually got written, it just stayed
in the page cache so everything seemed ok.

I also had a lot of hangs - probably because I have swap on the sdcard.
If swapping to the card silently fail, then surely there is
trouble when the stuff is swapped back in.

Do the sdcard and the glamo share a bus? Maybe glamo can handle a
speed that the sdcard cannot?

Helge Hafting