Some questions to new SHR images (ubifs, gps)

Alexander Lehner lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de
Wed Jul 28 21:21:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Sylvain Paré wrote:

> I did some quick tests
> Removing AGPS data did not chang a lot.
> It gets a fix quite normaly but it is stil not as good as before.
> At best I fix 4 gps (never more) over 10 visible and so my hdop stays around
> 4.5
> So realy not very good..
> Before I already manage to fix 12/12 satellites!  but the average was about
> 6/10.

I, as initiator of this discussion, first have to apologize for my
assumption that latest SHR still cannot handle GPS. It can, I now made the
same observations as Sylvian did: GPS receiver quality is poorer, TTFF is
slower, but it works.

I have two FreeRunners (one for testing new releases) and that one had the
GPS cable broken. I think it was from the many times 'shaking out that
battery'.
I managed to re-solder it somehow but with only little success:
I only get the GPS time, but no fix, and it seems to mee that this also
only works on the January (or comparable) release of SHR, not for actual
(July) ones.

Finally I'm glad to have navit working again, since I'm about to go to a
business trip from Germany to US, having a rental car there with probably
no navigation on board ;)

A.