New SHR-unstable images with 2.6.32 kernel
martin.jansa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:58:18 CEST 2010
After hopefully lucky incident we have finally switched to new kernel.
It's based on 220.127.116.11 and has DRM/KMS enabled.
* New images are built with kernel and all needed changes are already included.
* Images doesn't have udevd installed by default (using devtmpfs), which makes
it boot about twice as fast as before (less then 1 min to PIN dialog). But
it also won't mount your uSD automatically (it was blacklisted before, but
removing it from blacklist won't help now).
* Included packages contains latest stuff like xserver-1.9 (RC3), foxtrotgps
and tangogps 0.99.4, QT 4.7.0-beta1 and QML enabled navit.
* Distribution revision was changed in OE, this means that every package
installed from shr-unstable feeds will be upgraded during next opkg upgrade
(so be sure that you have enough time and space in /var partition).
Consider flashing new image, it can be faster and safer in the end.
* Used GCC was upgraded from version 4.4.4 to 4.5 (svn revision 160764 from
gcc-4.5-branch, because released 4.5.0 has few issues on ARM targets).
* New GCC brings LTO optimizations, which can give us 30% speedup in some cases,
see benchmark results .
LTO is not enabled by default yet.
* New kernel has some issues, so please try first (on another uSD partition),
before upgrading your daily-phone-partition.
* The kernel is bigger than 2MB so if you're using u-boot, update your
environment according to wiki entry .
* With slower uSD you can see unknown-block-device while booting. Flash newer
Qi from SHR  it is using rootwait instead of rootdelay=1. For u-boot
increase rootdelay or use rootwait.
* Sometimes (and only on some devices) it can show all white (looks like old
WSoD, but it's without death). Suspend/Resume should fix this.
* Vibrations are too weak.
* See OE changelog  and SHR changelog .
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com
More information about the community