My FreeRunner’s USB port still works for power, but not data?

Al Johnson openmoko at
Thu Mar 4 22:43:36 CET 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010, Brolin Empey wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
> > Not using a hub (same ports on the same laptop) - some cables work, some
> > dont, only the cable differs :(
> I am not using a USB hub either.  I have USB cables which work fine for
> both power + data with other devices, such as a 2.5" HDD enclosure, but
> do not work with my FreeRunner. :(
> Is it possible my USB port problem is caused by pin 4 (ID) of the mini
> USB connector(s)?  See the “USB 1.x/2.0 Miniplug/Microplug” table on
> <
> 3693#Cables>.

Pin 4 is not normally connected in usb cables, so that shouldn't be it. If you
have a problem with pin 4 the most likely issue would be not recognising the
mains charger as a high current device.