[NEW DISTRIBUTION] Announcing NEOPhysis

Petr Vanek vanous at penguin.cz
Sun Mar 7 14:00:47 CET 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:05:58 +0000
Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com> (NJ) wrote:

>For me, it raises the question of why people feel that they need to
>start off their own thing, instead of contributing to an existing
>project.  I think one justification for this is if the new project
>really produces a result quickly that is clearly better than the
>existing projects.  If that doesn't happen, I'm afraid I don't see the
>point; the end result is only that we have N+1 not-quite-good-enough
>distributions, instead of N.

Neil, in principle i agree with you. But the perfect world doesn't
exist and for me as the end user variety is good.

I think with the number of FR sold, multitude of projects is just
expected behavior. We can see the same thing on desktop and it is a
never ending dispute of quality versus quantity. We could hope there
would be one official distribution providing the functioning basics for
our FR but that didn't happen. So personal initiatives just take place.
Instead of seeing the FR platform disappearing, this is hopefully a
progression.

Petr