Some trickery involved in getting USB Host working on FR?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at
Mon Mar 8 10:31:05 CET 2010

Jay Vaughan <jayv at> writes:
> Does anyone have any advice for me on how to get the Freerunner to
> work as a USB Host device?  I'd like to use it as the main PC
> surrounded by USB devices (USBMIDI cable, Powermate) .. is there some
> special cable I need, or is this now all easily handled at the distro
> level somehow, and if so: which distro has the easiest-to-use USB Host
> capabilities?

To be able to charge your FR and use usb perepherals at the same time
you need the "Y-cable". The best option would be to get a suitable USB
hub and modify it accordingly. For more references see [1] and
[2]. Switching to host-mode should be easy with any distro, as it's
done on kernel level and is controlled by two sysfs nodes.

Be free, use free ( software!
mailto:fercerpav at