What to do with FreeRunner / Neo 1973?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 13:00:33 CET 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> one question: I'd like to set it up as a mini-
> ISP, allowing Wireless/Bluetooth connections to share the Internet
> over the Freerunner - is this possible yet, or is it still pretty much
> a difficult thing to set up?  I've been quite spoiled with my Android
> phone tethering for all my devices - if the Freerunner could do this
> easily enough (is there a GUI?) then I'd have a really interesting
> place to use it ..

Lack of WiFi basestation capability is a closed firmware limitation. Atheros
might have a change of heart, but it seems unlikely. I think I've seen reports
of Ad Hoc mode working, but i've never tried it.Bluetooth networking works.

I'm not sure of the GUI status for either of them, so there may be some
editing of config files involved. If you give Android a go it might 'just
work'. I've not GUI apps for either in SHR, but i guess Debian has a few.