MIDI on FR (was: Re: Some trickery involved in getting USB Host working on FR?)

Denis Shulyaka shulyaka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:47:52 CET 2010

2010/3/9 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure why you're writing to me personally, feel free to reply
> on-list if that's a mistake.

That's a mistake, I just pushed 'reply' button. I meant to reply to the list/

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 02:30:37PM +0300, Denis Shulyaka wrote:
>> The problem is that the device file /dev/snd/seq is missing. For
>> example, if I try to start aseqnet from alsa-utils-aseqnet package I
>> get the following:
>> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
snd_seq_open: No such file or directory

> I think you want to use a software midi synthesizer and you did
> nothing to actually accomplish that :)
> I guess you need to install and configure timidity.

Actually, already installed timidity :)
You can get my package here
ftp://shulyaka.org.ru/pub/timidity_2.13.2-r0.4_armv4t.ipk , though I
don't remember if it works out-of-the box without manual configuration
or installing of a soundfont.
I can use it as a stand-alone midi player, but if I try to start it as
ALSA server I get the same error:

root at neo ~ $ timidity -iA
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
error in snd_seq_open

> And yes, the
> kernel module is missing because CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER is not set. I
> assume this needs to be corrected. Can you test it's the only option
> needed please?

That's where I failed: I can't compile the kernel myself.
I did everything as advised in
http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Building%20SHR , but `make
kernel` fails with '/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc'. I think it's a
dependency problem and I need to compile something first, but I just
can't guess what. `bitbake glibc` doesn't do the trick and also fails
with "find_exidx.c:(.text+0x901b8): undefined reference to
`fstatat64'".