[NEW DISTRIBUTION] Announcing NEOPhysis

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:54:19 CET 2010

On 10 March 2010 05:58, Aditya Gandhi <aditya.g8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't we really combine all efforts instead of making a huge and heavy
> fso

As others have replied, I don't think it's true that FSO is huge and
heavy - at least, not in a practical sense, because it is nicely
divided into separate functions, and you can disable any parts of it
that you don't want.

For example, my personal intuitions are that opimd shouldn't be
middleware, and maybe not oeventsd and opreferencesd either; and that
ogpsd and otimed should be just gpsd and ntpd.  But that's all fine,
because I can just disable those pieces (as and when I sort out my
thinking and any replacements that are needed).

What does that leave?  ogsmd, odeviced and ousaged - which are all
crucial, and I have no reason to believe that they're unnecessarily
heavy.  IIUC, Neophysis uses odeviced and ousaged (or the fso*
equivalents), and just replaces [fs]ogsmd with ofono.

> on speed and reliability of operations we do. I don't think I would like to
> use a phone which takes 5 min to boot up, 3 min to start an app and crashes
> very frequently.

FWIW, that doesn't sound like my FSO-based phone.

> I would love to start from scratch and clean up all the
> mess. I don't think these guys have anything against fso but I'm sure they
> felt the same as many other Freerunner users.
> I don't mean to ridicule your efforts on fso all I want to say is it can be
> quicker and better if you don't plan on supporting everything possible
> (qt,gtk,enlightenment) & even if you do not everything all together ,
> different flavors of fso might help better.

I think this is all just FUD, isn't it?  If there's a specific point
in here, please point it out.  In particular, note that the FSO API
has nothing to do with what desktop environment you're using.

> I really wish fso reaches its goal but still while giving usable images as
> it goes.

Me too.  It already does enough to make me a happy phone user.  Of
course there are remaining issues, but progress is being made on
those, and I would be very surprised if the oFono stack is able to
catch up and overtake FSO, because it is inevitable that oFono will
encounter difficult issues too.

Regards,
      Neil