[QTMOKO] - list of questions from a new user..

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Mar 15 09:48:48 CET 2010

Hi there!

After massive frustration with an unnamed distro I decided to give
qtmoko a try. And I'm very impressed, you can see that it has been
developed with big money at some stage. Too bad qtopia is discontinued
and there hasn't been a strong community around it: the future doesn't
look too bright in that sector either.. However I strongly suggest
everyone even a bit unsure about their current distibution to give
qtmoko a try. It's far ahead of all others in terms of speed, looks,
usability, features etc etc.

So here are some questions I'd like to be answered to be able to
better use, understand and maybe also in some ways contribute to
qtmoko.

How to export the SMS's qtmoko moved from SMS to a sane format.. say
txt file or whatever..
Is there a plan to make qtmoko NOT touch the SMS's on the SIM..? Big
fail to remove all SMS's from SIM without warning the user..
Is qtmoko using the latest alsastate files - What I heard was very
silent and the other end didn't hear a thing..
Who's developing qtmoko?
Are the FSO-based and debian based developed at the same time?
How do v18 and v19 compare? Why v18 is 'preferred download' at
sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/)?
Why is the access to qtmoko bugtracker at
http://bugs.qtmoko.org/login_page.php for registered users only?
I apt-get upgrade, do I get to v19 from v18?
Is the kernel provided at sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/) with or without DEBUG
ie. is it the 'new, fast' or 'older, not so fast'?
Where is the qtmoko community? Openmoko-community mailing list? This
channel? Other places? Blogs, forums?

Thanks for the answers! I hope someone to be able to encourage me of
the future of qtmoko..