Comparing A5 and A7 sound settings

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 07:23:33 CET 2010

2010/3/16 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:
'> You may call my tests misinformation, but I'll calmly go on with usable
> sound settings with which I can be heard even from a noisy restaurant by
> *NOT*USING* the "Correct" setting.

I am not claiming the "wrong" settings would not help. The main thing
is that it should be possible to achieve the same situation with other
settings, while keeping the audio path more sane. If it works for you,
fine, but it's not exactly how the audio path should be configured in
general. I did use "wrong" settings myself to a satisfaction for a
long time, but they shouldn't be used in general.

If you see http://www.mail-archive.com/community@lists.openmoko.org/msg58185.html
- for example the same effect as raising control.12 from 5 to 7 like
some people do when they feel they have too little microphone volume
can be had by increasing control.5 by 6 values, but without having
additional stage of amplifying (keeping control.12 at 5 means 0dB).
The exact effect of setting Mic Sidetone Mux (control.63) to "Right
PGA" instead of "Mic 2" is not known, but it uses a wrong audio path
and a similar way of lessening noise and mic volume should be done by
using control.5 (mono playback) instead.

I have also experimented with these on my A5 + buzz fix, and have not
found there is any way to "cheat" the system so that using wrong audio
paths would magically generate better audio quality compared to using
correct audio paths (control.48 '3', control.12 '5', control.63 'Mic
2') and compensating with control.5 to the level wanted. And even if
there was, my point is that the default configuration should be for
A7, if there is only one configuration by default.

Sorry for stating the information "misinformation" so strongly - I
don't claim the information couldn't help some people finding values
that happen to work for them, it's just not the optimal way to do
that.

-Timo