Comparing A5 and A7 sound settings

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:52:46 CET 2010

On Tuesday 16 March 2010, Neil Jerram wrote:
> On 16 March 2010 06:23, Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2010/3/16 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:
> > '> You may call my tests misinformation, but I'll calmly go on with
> > usable
> >
> >> sound settings with which I can be heard even from a noisy restaurant by
> >> *NOT*USING* the "Correct" setting.
> >
> > I am not claiming the "wrong" settings would not help. The main thing
> > is that it should be possible to achieve the same situation with other
> > settings, while keeping the audio path more sane. If it works for you,
> > fine, but it's not exactly how the audio path should be configured in
> > general. I did use "wrong" settings myself to a satisfaction for a
> > long time, but they shouldn't be used in general.
>
> I have to support Rui here.  I find this over-theoretical argument
> really annoying.

I could say the same about treating the mixer settings as some sort of black
magic. The theory is simple and well established analogue electronics.

> Do you understand 100% the operation of the Wolfson codec?

Not 100%, but not far off on the analogue side. I haven't quite got to grips
with the compressor/limiter options, and haven't looked much at the digital
side. What would you like an explanation of?

> Does anyone?
>
> After following this list for a long time, I am practically certain
> that the answer to those questions is No.
>
> So, please could we have a bit more respect for people's empirical
>  findings?

Empirical findings are fine if you use the results to improve your
understanding of the system. It was an empirical result that pointed to the
mono mixer setting being the source of distortion for some people. For people
who don't want to learn about the underlying system there are instructions on
how to get to a reasonable mixer setting on the wiki. I have offered to
clarify any part of those instructions if they are hard to follow, but so far
nobody has taken up the offer.