getting started with wlan

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 12:49:24 CET 2010

On 21 March 2010 03:21, Kai-Martin <kmk at familieknaak.de> wrote:

> The wlan device to talk to seems to be eth0, right?

Correct.

> Most of the time when I check with ifconfig, there is no decice eth0.
> Presumably this is, because the wlan chip is xswitched off.

Yes.

> How do I manually switch the wlan chip on and off?

In the SHR UI, I'm not sure - but I would guess that there is a switch
somewhere in the Settings app.

At the D-Bus API level, it's a RequestResource call for the WiFi device:

mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ousaged /org/freesmartphone/Usage
org.freesmartphone.Usage.RequestResource WiFi

> How do I make sure, die wlan device is not shut off again by some
> power saving application?

Sorry, don't know that one.

Regards,
       Neil