transparency in gtk

Sebastian Reichel elektranox at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 06:23:28 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:02:43AM +0600, Chuck Norris wrote:
> I need transparency in gtk under freerunner. So I compiled this code
>
> #include <gtk/gtk.h>
>
> gint main(gint argc, gchar **argv)
> {
>     GtkWidget *window;
>
>     gtk_init(&argc, &argv);
>
>     window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
>
>     gtk_window_set_opacity(GTK_WINDOW(window), 0.1);
>
>     gtk_widget_show_all(window);
>
>     gtk_main();
> }
>
> under my desktop and it shows transparent window. Then I compiled it for
> shr-u with crosscompiler from tmp/cross folder of shr-u sources. And on
> freerunner it shows not transparent window. So Is it possible to create
> transparent gtk apps in shr or other distribs for freerunner? And how if
> it possible?

Hi,

Please read the documentation [1] first next time. You need a
compositing manager on X11. You can read more about them in
the Wikipedia [2]. Last but not least let me say it probably
won't work well on Freerunner, but  I haven't tried.

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-set-opacity
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositing_window_manager

-- Sebastian