[QtMoko] no WLAN support nor USB networking with Windows 7 in QtMoko v18? (FR unusability rant)

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Mon Mar 29 01:44:04 CEST 2010

Hello fans of cute trolls ;),

I finally used tar to back up my QtMoko v14 installation in my FR’s
onboard NAND, then reflashed QtMoko v18 because, among other annoyances,
I was tired of missing incoming SMS messages until I restarted QtEI.
Anyway, QtMoko v18 boots and appears to work, but the WLAN interface
does not exist and USB networking with Windows 7 does not work at all,
even though it partially worked (was intermittent) with QtMoko v14.  No
Neo Connection is created when I connect my FR to my Windows 7 laptop,
so I cannot bridge Neo Connection to Local Area Connection so I cannot
ssh from Cygwin on Windows 7 to QtMoko v18.  The WLAN interface somehow
appeared after I started writing this message, but it is useless
because, of course, I cannot connect to my WLAN at home.  I tried with
both the QtEI GUI and the CLI.  I decided to finally try using Bluetooth
to network QtMoko v18 with Windows 7, but QtEI says Bluetooth is
unavailable when I open Bluetooth from the Main Menu.  I tried using
“Power on Bluetooth” in the Dev Tools, but, of course, it does not
appear to do anything so I cannot even configure Bluetooth on QtMoko
v18, so there is no point in continuing trying to configure Bluetooth.
I do not want to have to reboot my FR just to get Bluetooth working
again in QtMoko v18 because Bluetooth will probably die again after I
suspend and resume.  So, since the FR’s WLAN is useless, as usual,
Bluetooth is broken, and USB networking with Windows 7 is completely
broken, I have to (try to) use my wired Ethernet LAN again, even though
I think this is how my FR’s USB connector got broken last time.  Of
course, though, I cannot even enable logical USB host mode on QtMoko v18
(at least electrical USB device mode works, which is surprising because
it means something actually works on my FR! (fail)) because the Dev Tool
to enable USB host mode appears to do nothing, which makes sense if it
uses sysfs because there is no usb_mode file in sysfs.  lsmod does not
list ohci-hcd, so I guess either the module is not loaded or it is built
into the kernel image.  I cannot load ohci-hcd because it does not exist
in /lib/modules/, which appears to be missing many modules.  Why? (fail)
  Are most modules built into the kernel, or were these modules not
built at all because they would be too useful?  I need to restore at
least my QtEI config and user data from my QtMoko v14 backup tarball,
but this is a huge PITA without ssh access to QtMoko v18 because I have
to use the tedious onscreen keyboard in qterminal.  QtMoko v18 has no
Internet access because I cannot connect it to my PC, nor my home
(wired) LAN nor WLAN, so I cannot install mc to see if the version in
lenny has been upgraded so it is no longer useless because of the
regression which prevented me from listing the contents of my QtMoko v11
backup tarball on QtMoko v14, so I have to use tar from the command
line, which takes ages to do anything, such as listing archive contents
and extracting specific files.  I probably use QtMoko as a PDA more than
a phone:  I rely on it for my personal calendar and had over 400 tasks,
including completed tasks.  I do not know how anyone considers paper
calendars on their wall at home useful because they do not have them
with them when they are away from home;  I am often away from home when
I make appointments.  Anyway, I know I have appointments next week (the
week starts on Monday, not Sunday, for me.  I hate calendars which start
on Sunday.), but I cannot access my calendar because I cannot restore my
QtMoko v14 backup.  I also have at least 2 upcoming events I need to add
to my calendar, but I cannot do so, so I have to rely on people to call
me to remind me because I will probably forget if I do not have the
events in my calendar.  I know I should have properly backed up my
QtMoko v14 installation by saving a disk (memory) image of the onboard
NAND instead of creating a tarball of the files, but I was very
foolishly optimistic QtMoko v18 would work better (be less unusable)
than v14. (epic fail)  I know this message has a very negative tone, but
I am currently very frustrated because my FR is still unusable after
spending most of my weekend so far trying to upgrade from QtMoko v14 to
v18.  Alishams Hassam (in To above) asked me how it could take so many
hours for me to upgrade QtMoko;  now he has a written record of the
explanation.  As much as I want to make my FR usable, everything always
seems to end up being a huge PITA.  I think I should really buy an N900
because I want a usable Linux phone (proper, standard, Debian-based
Linux, not crappy, non-standard Android Linux) which does not literally
take days to upgrade to fix problems which should not have been present
in a release in the first place. :((

Brolin

--
Sometimes I forget how to do small talk: <http://xkcd.com/222/>

“If you have to ask why, you’re not a member of the intended audience.”
— Bob Zimbinski, <http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/>