Set the time zone?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 30 11:18:15 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 10:39 +0200, David Garabana Barro wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 09:52:15 Michael Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:31:47 -0400
> >
> > "Iain B. Findleton" <ifindleton at videotron.ca> wrote:
> > > While I can set the time, I can't figure how to set the time zone on the
> > > FR under SHR-U. The tzselect utility does not work for me for some
> > > reason. Any suggestions?
> >
> > This is how I did it:
> >
> > ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney /etc/localtime
>
> And you should edit /etc/timezone and put there your timezone:
>

> root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/timezone
> Europe/Madrid

Most mainstream distros (though not all) have moved to copying the file
and not using a symlimk - the reason given is that if /usr is on a
separate partition then it might not be available during boot and cause
problems.  The package manager is supposed to manage the file.

Some discussion here, though its not the final word on it:
"http://bugs.gentoo.org/110038"

BillK