[Debian][HOWTO] using bleeding edge FSO (Cornucopia aka vala rewrite)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sun May 9 19:26:26 CEST 2010

Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com> writes:
> On 6 May 2010 21:59, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I like using Debian on my FR (in fact it is the only system i use as
>> my daily phone since i bought it) and i decided i want to start
>> getting all the great improvements and fixes from git again (as i used
>> to when framework was pure python).
>
> Thanks for writing this Howto.  I don't know when I might get round to
> trying this out, but it's great to know that the guidance is there for
> when I need it.

I think i should warn everyone that it's not an easy route, and that
one won't get full compatibility with the SHR apps (they required one
manual call with mdbus2 and a bit of binary patching). But for my
purposes this process works really great, i'm still using this as my
only phone.

>> I've also written an emacs
>> interface[1] to FSO (thanks to John Sullivan for inspiration), that's
>> the only UI i use now (will make an announcement later in another
>> letter).
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing this too!

I'll get round to it really soon. All the code is there for everybody
to see. And i've already got one user (thanks, ZaPPaS!) who's using it
with SHR-u with dbus-daemon-proxy [1] and emacs23 running on his
host. Emacs23 in SHR feeds is (hopefully) coming soon.

[1] git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/user/alban/dbus-daemon-proxy
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com