The Phoenux is coming: Openmoko Beagle

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon May 10 20:39:35 CEST 2010

Am 10.05.2010 um 20:19 schrieb rixed at happyleptic.org:

> The design rocks :) !

It took us months to come up with this unique engineering sample
design. Originally, people have prooposed to put everyting inside a
Freerunner case - but that would have been too easy...

> Well,hopefully it won't take long until someone propose a case large
> enough for the beagleboard.
>
> Anyway, I'd be glad to preorder this + a supporting fee and I think
> many people would be willing to support this project as well, so
> maybe you could setup a preordering+support payment page somewhere ?

Yes, I will setup such a page in the next days.

> Also, I'd like to know how open is the OMAP used in the beagleboard
> exactly ? More specifically, what about the powerVR 3d drivers ? Can

There are approx. 3000 pages of documentation of every bit of the OMAP
processor - except the 3d engine:

http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/sprs507f

As far as I understand the situation, the kernel drivers are open
source but the libraries are not. Details are described here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#Graphics_accelerator
http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/HowtoUseSGXunderAngstrom
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbugencontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12700&contentId=27458

> we go without them now ?

Without we still have graphics, framebuffer etc. to acces through X11
and cairo. Just no 3D acceleration and OpenGL ES API. But the guys
from OpenPandora are using it and show some 3D videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnr4HCIoFlk
). So it should be possible to get them for open source projects.

Nikolaus