Status of GSM base station positioning services & clients

Onen onen.om at free.fr
Mon May 10 21:37:09 CEST 2010

Hi!

it seems questions always come when you are out of town ;-) So sorry for
the delay of this answer...

On 05/03/2010 12:18 PM, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> does anyone know what's the current status of GSM base station -based
> positioning services..
> How do the different databases compare to each other nowadays?

Well could you be more specific?

> Are there clients to position the user based on the GSM base stations,
> with on- or offline databases?

Yes, but none which are really "production ready", AFAIK. I mean,
packaged, tested, ready for end user. Nevertheless, it is supposed to
work at least basically.

> It'd be great to be able to detect the approximate location from GSM
> signal and then hook up to GPS faster..

Baruch did some work on the vala implemented openBmap-locator code. I am
not sure what is the status of it. The code is located on the openBmap
sourceforge git repository.

Onen