[gta02-core] Openmoko Beagle Hybrid

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri May 14 16:36:57 CEST 2010

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> There is now a new Wiki page for the project:
>
>       http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Openmoko_Beagle_Hybrid

Kewl. But where's the duct tape ? :-)

> I have received some questions why we did not put all this into a nice
> design. The main reason is that we can't redesign the Beagleboard (it
> has fixed dimensions) and we can't afford to build plastic injection
> moulds (if someone has an idea how to reduce cost this is very
> welcome).

Low-volume injection molding should be quite affordable if you
provide the cast (aluminium) or at least a machine-ready design.
Of course, if you have to pay for the entire design work too,
things will get expensive.

However, you may also want to consider making the parts directly,
without going via a cast. This is much more expensive for larger
quantities, but if you only need a handful of cases anyway, it
should be more efficient.

The issue then becomes access to equipment and experience. I think
making a simple case should be little more than a weekend project
for someone who's set up to do such things. The challenge seems to
be to find such a person, or - if you're looking for an exciting
new hobby - to become one :-)

- Werner