using multiple window systems - selecting at boot

Alishams Hassam alishams at interchange.ubc.ca
Sun May 16 02:54:04 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 17:36 +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> i'm investigating changing to debian as the os for my fr. it appears i
> can use either qtmoko, or the shr suite of apps on top of this. if i
> install both, how would i go about choosing which environment (Qt/X)
> boots at startup? on my desktop i'd probably see if grub could do it,
> but as there is no grub i'm a bit stuck here.
>
> any suggestions?

I know you can use the qtmoko (more accurately qtopia) dialer and tools
in debian, at least the versions that were ported to X though I don't
know of debs so you'll have to compile- but for freerunner purposes,
qtmoko should be considered it's own distro (it runs in a framebuffer
and X apps don't integrate well, though they are usable). The best way
to do this would be to use the Qi bootloader. Have one partition with
the latest qtmoko, another partition with plain debian and install the
shr packages (already in repo I believe). Use the qi-bootmenu if you
don't have the reflexes to hit AUX at the right time :)
> cheers

peace