[qtmoko] using qtmoko as an USB Mass storage device

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun May 16 10:29:34 CEST 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010, Tomas Nackaerts wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to use my freerunner as a USB Mass storage device. I tried to follow
> the instructions on
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Using_the_Neo_as_an_USB_Mass_storage_device.
>  But it seems there are no g_ether and g_file_storage modules present on
>  QtMoko v22. Maybe they are built inside the kernel?

If there's no g_ether module then it will be built in, and g_file_storage may
be. If so you can use the bind and unbind /sys files for the drivers instead
of loading and unloading them. I don't remember exactly where they live, but
it's probably something like:
	echo g_ether > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/g_ether/unbind
	echo g_file_storage > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/g_file_storage/bind
There is similar mechanism for setting the parameters, but I don't remember
the details. Look for suitably names files in the g_file_storage directory.

> I also  found in the Devtools menu two scripts: 'USB device mode' and 'USB
> host mode', but i dont know what their exact use is.

Device mode is when the moko behaves as a usb device like an ethernet adapter
or a flash drive. Host mode is when the neo behaves as a usb host so you can
plug in and use devices