8 Gigabyte Sandisk MicroSDHC Incompatibility

Vencabot Teppoo vencabot_teppoo at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 03:06:43 CEST 2010

Hello, community! This is my first time joining a mailing list, so excuse me if my netiquette leaves anything to be desired, and let me know.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased an 8 gig Sandisk microsd card for my Neo Freerunner since it seems like Sandisk has a good track record of compatibility according to the wiki. Sadly, after finally getting it installed and having the time to experiment with it, it seems like its incompatible; when I run fdisk on it, fdisk completes without error, but the new partitions don't show up in /dev until I reboot the Freerunner. After that, I can mkfs, also without error, but checking the filesystem afterward yields that the filesystem is corrupt, and it remains corrupt despite fixing it (without error). Rebooting doesn't help in this case.

I've been using Linux exclusively for five years now, but please excuse me for not being very familiar with changing module options and what-not. My question is this: it seems like, in some areas of the wiki, users suggest changing glamo options for microsd to improve compatibility. I've tried the ones that I've read, and none seem to have had any appreciable affect. Is there a list somewhere that describes what-all these options are? Are there more things that I could try before giving up on this card?

My bootloader is the most recent version of Qi, and the system that I have in NAND is the most recent version of QtMoko. As far as I can tell, dmesg doesn't report any write errors or any errors related to the microsd except when I try to mount and it complains that it doesn't have a valid EXT3 filesystem.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I'm sorry if this message should instead be posted on a technical support mailing list somewhere. If so, could anyone point me toward it?

-David

PS: Loving the Freerunner. I just wish that there was a more fool-proof way to hook it up with some more disk space.