qtmoko on nand - qi or u-boot?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon May 24 11:03:38 CEST 2010

On Monday 24 May 2010 10:33:28 Corey wrote:

> A friend of mine lent me his freerunner to toy around with, so I'm just
> now acclimating myself to the phone - any docs online that compare
> the pros/cons between installing/flashing a distribution on nand vs.
> microSD card?

I would recommend to have daily phone on NAND. It behaves much better when you
improperly shutdown the phone (e.g.  pull off battery).

On SD card you have most often ext2/ext3 which need running fsck and i have
experienced corrupted files. In NAND there is jffs2 - i never experienced it.

SD card has the capacity advantage. It's good if you compile on freerunner or
install some big apps.

I use Qi for booting from SD card and u-boot for booting from NAND because
it's comfortable (POWER for SD card, POWER+AUX for NAND) and you can edit
/boot/append-GTA02 boot params for SD card easily.

Regards

Radek