"/etc/init.d/qpe restart" breaks qtmoko

Rashid rashid at milacom.de
Fri May 28 09:41:36 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

I wanted to write a restart script for the gsm modem.
Turning the modem off is working. But when I want to restart it I have
to restart qtopia. This isn't desireable.

First there is a bug
"Synchronisation was terminated due to application error" which allways
displays (when you close it, it comes again) the waiting clock with
"jumping" watch hand. When someone knows how to fix the bug, I would be
very happy :).

Second: I use the phone for reading pdfs, watching movies etc. It would
be great if I can restart the GSM modem and initialize it with reboot
the whole GUI / X-Server.

So I'm looking for a gsm restart / initialize script that doesn't need
to restart qtopia.

Motivation:

The idea is to to turn the modem off and turn it every hour on to look
for new sms for 2 or 3 minutes and then turn it off again. Im living in
a country where every mobile phone movement is traced so I deciced to
make it harder to trace me.

How I turned down GSM (maybe improveable):

So I wrote a small script to turn the power the modem down and it works
fine:

#!/bin/sh
echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on
echo "AT at POFF" > /dev/ttySAC0

There is maybe a way to cut the power from the modem via gpio like in
this thread.
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openmoko-community/2009/2/23/5071724/thread

If someone knows how the exact command is (and how you go back and power
it on, so it works with qtmoko) I would be very happy.