[Community Updates] 2010-11-01 is out!
timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 08:25:33 CET 2010
Newest community update now available at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/2010-11-01 and plain
text version below.
In addition to myself, the latest edition was brought to you by:
( as usual, you can help out with the next edition at
Remember that when the time comes, feel free to do this publishing. I
didn't do it a month ago, so no-one did :)
Period 2010-09-01 to 2010-10-31
*** Distributions ***
Debian is a universal operating system used on many embedded devices,
servers and home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives
access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian
repositories, already compiled for the Neo's ARM(v4) processor.
Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without
having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu
user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar,
trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
* New Openmoko specific Linux 2.6.34 kernel is now available as a
package in the pkg-fso repository! Just do apt-get install
linux-image-2.6.34-openmoko-gta02 (and check the symbolic links in
/boot). Details at
* While Debian itself is in freeze, omhacks 0.12 with newer kernel
support and more was released at the pkg-fso repository:
* The main information wiki page was put up-to-date:
* Even the most conservative daily FR phone users might be willing
to upgrade at least to latest FSO1 stack:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:TimoJyrinki#currentphonestack - of
course, FSO2 (fso-gsmd) is also packaged and waiting for users...
*** Applications ***
APRS tracker and communicator for mobile devices. It turns your Neo
into bidirectional APRS unit and besides others it allows you to track
your position, do text messaging, object creation or display stations
Tested on: SHR-Unstable
Gamerunner GnuBoy 0.8
A gameboy emulator which runs very nice, even with sound (sometimes it
freezes, then you have to press the A button and everything is ok).
You need the gamerunner distro or a gamepad to use it. Using frameskip
to run smooth at 320*240 pixel. In second controll mode in gamerunner
you can use savestates by pressing top right corne to save and left
lower corner to load. Select is right lower corner.
Package: [nopacket no packet sorry]
Tested on: Gamerunner, QTMoko
FoxtrotGPS is an offshoot of Marcus Bauer's excellent Free & Open
Source tangoGPS application, with a focus on cooperation and fostering
community innovation. 1.0.0 announcement.
* Gracefully recovering from gpsd shutting down
* GPX routepoints support
* Integration of distribution patches
* Map tiles are displayed immediately after downloading
* GeoRSS points can be imported as POIs (script)
* Various other fixes and improvements
* Since no feedback gotten from the sister project and some
changes will not be imported, version number 1.0.0 was selected to
show that there is divergence
Tested on: Debian
*** General News ***
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs
etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
* GPRS on FreeRunner is unstable? Too many connections hang the
modem? Unfixable? NO MORE! Our magician lindi has conjured a tc
(traffic control) command that makes the data flow more stable even
under heavy load. Huge thanks!
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2264#comment:21 (use the lower
one for faster operation)
* Debian wiki now includes generic view on the multitude of
Openmoko related kernel branches out there:
* State of upstreaming kernel parts was updated by Lars-Peter
Clausen and others in this thread:
- as always, help is welcome in the land of the kernel!
Spin-off Hardware Projects
* Another spin-off project possible: Always Innovating MiniBook
would be a great basis for a free phone - it just lacks a GSM/3G
chip... for now:
* Openmoko Beagle Hybrid moving to OMAP4/Cortex-A9:
* 2010-10-12 Next "FYP.de / Openmoko Stammtisch" in Munich, Germany 
* 2010-12-04 German Open Hard&Software Workshop on 4th/5th
December 2010 in Munich; will cover Openmoko, Beagle Board, Arduino,
OpenPandora, ...; still in planing phase; to stay and participate in
planning loop please subscribe to:
* 2011-01-24 Mobile FOSS MiniConf at LCA2011 announced a call for
papers that closes on Friday 22nd October 2010. So submit something
about OpenMoko today!
* 2011-02-05/06 FOSDEM 2011 calls for Main Speakers and Devrooms
 that closes on Saturday 16th October 2010. So submit something
about OpenMoko today!
More information about the community