Yocto for Openmoko?

Gay, John (GE Energy Services, Non-GE) John.Gay at ge.com
Mon Nov 1 13:08:17 CET 2010

>Am Samstag, den 30.10.2010, 13:15 +0400 schrieb Nikita V. Youshchenko:
>> > Just saw the announcement on lwn.net for the Yocto Project.
>> >
>> > This aims to create a standard build system for embedded systems.
>> > Sounds like it might be an interesting way to build for the
FreeRunner.

>> > Of course it also sound like 'yet-another-build-system' tool.
>> >
>> > Just wanted to high-lite this to the various people building
various
>> > distros and hear their feedback on what this might, or might not
>> > offer for simplifying builds for the FreeRunner.
>> >
>> > Cheers, and let the flames ignite (-=
>>
>> Isn't that Yocto based on the same OpenEmbedded as current build
>> system for several distros is?
>
>Yes, it is.
>
>Although it might contain some higher-level shells that could simplify
dealing with >the actual build process.

That was my point. It's supposed to simplify the config process and
create SDK, QEMU images and such.

But on the other hand, do we need Yet-another-build-system? Does it
offer something useful to set it apart from what's already out there?

At the very least someone could add the FreeRunner to this list of
supported target platforms for Yocto. Maybe the GP2X could be another
target to work on.

Cheers,

	John Gay